Promoting local and regional self-government and the institutional reinforcement of local governments in the region
Bringing together local officials and policy makers to strengthen the feeling of sharing a common Mediterranean destiny
Developing and enhancing
Developing and enhancing the role of local institutions in the formulation, management and leadership of development and solidarity policies the closest to the citizens
Providing information on available initiatives and mechanisms for local and regional development
- The IOPD Distinction Best Practice in Citizen Participation seeks to recognize innovative experiences in the field of participatory democracy, coordinated by local governments, which may be susceptible to reply. Local government’s members of the IOPD can be submitted to this distinction, which is aw[...]
- The Committee of Digital and Knowledge-based Cities of UCLG carried out the second international research on the situation of the ICTs, Innovation and Knowledge in the cities (“Smart Cities Study”). As continuation of this work, we want to perform a new research in the present situation and the oppo[...]
- A message from the UCLG Secretary General, Josep Roig During the last five years working at United Cities, I have enjoyed extraordinary moments of serendicity. After our Congress in Bogota and our World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments in Quito I had one of those moments when I realized[...]
- The 4th Forum of Local and Regional Authorities of the Mediterranean was held in Tangier on 30th November 2016, chaired by Mr. Boudra, Mayor of Al Hoceima and president of the Political Council of the Mediterranean Commission of UCLG and by Mr. Roatta, Deputy Mayor of Marseille representing the pr[...]
A LA UNE
After the FALRM in Tangier
The 4th Forum of Local and Regional Authorities of the Mediterranean was held in Tangier on 30th November 2016, chaired by Mr. Boudra, Mayor of Al Hoceima and president of the Political Council of the Mediterranean Commission of UCLG and by Mr. Roatta, Deputy Mayor of Marseille representing the presidency of the Mediterranean Commission of UCLG.
Mr. Abdellaoui, Mayor of Tangier opened the Forum organised in a tighter format and with territial diplomacy as main theme. Thirty elected representatives from Algeria, France, Italia, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Spain, Tunisia and Turkey reminded common values they were sharing in particular those written in the Charter in favour of democratic governance. They advocated for a strong and open diplomacy carried by local and regional governments and with clear concrete goals in favour of populations.
Ils ont plaidé pour que les gouvernements locaux et régionaux portent une diplomatie ouverte, active et ayant des objectifs concrets clairs qui servent les populations. Emergencies are numerous and expectations are great.
Participants also reacted to recommendations from the Workshops of Sousse held on 22 & 23 September about territorial development and youth inclusion in the local life.
Proposals for a better reception of migrants in cities that are being elaborated in the frame of the MC2CM european project have also been discussed.
The Anna Lindh Foundation proposed two possibilities of cooperation to the Mediterranean Commission of UCLG.
The Forum was also the opportunity to take stock of 10 years of the Mediterranean Commission of UCLG : 2006-2016-commed (in French).
Proceedings of the Workshops of Sousse and of the Forum of Tangier will be available on 2017.
- Th Intermediterranean Commission Political Bureau meeting will be held on 1st February 2017 – Barcelona (Catalunya – Spain)
- The 8th ARLEM Plenary Session will be held on 22-23 February 2017 in Malta, during the Maltese Presidency of the European Union The ARLEM members will adopt ARLEM's priorities f[...]
- The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction will be held on 22-26 May 2017, Cancun, Mexico. The Global Platform is[...]